Thursday, July 14, 2011

July Lovelies

What does July bring to mind for you?

July reminds me of summer festivals, summer food, and summer past-times.

Festivals.

Near my home, there are quite a few summer festivals. Lots of music, food and fun at the river. There aren't a whole lot of carnivals though. Here is a dreamy picture of a cute little family at a fair I would love to be at right now.

Food.

So I've been cooking a bit this week, and am being brave and sharing tonight's meal that I created, with you. Two things you should know:

1. I never cook. So this obviously won't be an elaborate creation!
2. I don't eat tons, and I was cooking only for myself (plus leftovers for tomorrows lunch).


Spicy Summer Pasta Dish for One.

2 cups pasta
1/2-3/4 cup finely diced tomatoes (fresh or canned)
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1/2 tsp. minced garlic or 1 clove garlic
A little oregano
Pinch of Cayenne Pepper (I used flakes)
Italian Sausage (so i didn't use this, but when I was eating it, I was thinking it would taste so good in this dish!)
Smoked Gouda Cheese (others probably work, but this tastes super good in it!) and Oregano for garnish

1. Cook up the pasta.
2. On Medium heat, heat up that olive oil and garlic, add the tomatoes. Let it all simmer together, one happy little Italian family.
3. I suppose you should probably cook the sausage at some point (I didn't, but you should!)
4. Add the Cayenne and Oregano.
5. Spoon the sauce and sauce-age (ha) onto the pasta and top with some Smoked Gouda and a dash of oregano to make it look pretty enough to eat..then do so.

If you are brave enough to try my made-up recipe out, add some new things, and let me know what they are! I would love to hear how much better you can make it. That might be a challenge. Oh my goodness. Just came up with a fantastic future post idea relating to that. More to come on that subject I'm sure.

Past-Times.

Summer brings lots of things in my family's backyard. Here's a couple.

Gardens. My mom has a large garden that she tends to, along with lots of pots of flowers. (21 on our back deck alone..I am taking care of them this week, I don't make it a habit to count otherwise). Check out this neat garden in an old palette!

Croquet. but my sisters and I don't play in white pants like these ladies and gents.

What does July bring for you?

Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. I've been trying my hand at cooking this summer too! So far it's gone quite well. I highly recommend BLT soup!
    Recipe here: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/blt-soup-recipe/index.html

    And Croquet is ALWAYS fun, especially if you make up all your own rules :D

    Continue having a great summer!

    ReplyDelete